Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is Destination Brisbane Consortium?
Destination Brisbane Consortium will deliver a world class integrated resort and entertainment precinct to Brisbane and Queensland and involves three major partners:
The Star Entertainment Group (formerly known as Echo Entertainment Group): An Australian listed company that operates Treasury Casino & Hotel (Brisbane), Jupiter’s Hotel & Casino (Gold Coast), and The Star (Sydney). It is the current casino operator in Brisbane with a leading brand and loyalty program as well as VIP relationships in South East Queensland. www.starentertainmentgroup.com.au
Chow Tai Fook Enterprises: A private Hong Kong investment company, Chow Tai Fook is one of the largest diversified consumer and hospitality companies in Asia with a proven track record in long-term tourism and infrastructure investments. Chow Tai Fook has significant financial capacity to support large scale international development and highly complementary VIP relationships in Greater China and Asia. www.chowtaifook.com
Far East Consortium: One of Australasia’s largest developers Far East Consortium has operations in property, hospitality and car parks. It has strong property and hotel development track record and an experienced on the ground Australian development team. www.fareast.net.au
In addition to the Consortium partners, affiliate partners will provide further capability in strategic marketing and international VIP tourism and hospitality.
2) When will construction of the project commence?
Construction is currently expected to commence in 2017.
3) When is the development expected to be open for visitors?
Completion of the development is expected to occur in 2022.
4) How much will the development cost?
The total investment will be more than $3 billion. The Development of Queen’s Wharf Brisbane will include:
* An iconic world-class Integrated Resort and entertainment precinct with more than 1100 hotel rooms (five hotels) and a feature Sky Deck with spectacular views from a height of more than 100m – investment approximately $2 billion
* A residential precinct of approximately 2000 apartments – investment approximately $0.9 billion
* Public infrastructure including a pedestrian bridge, and development of public space areas largely along Brisbane’s riverfront and repurposed Treasury Casino & Hotel buildings
* Investments in improved connectivity solutions for the City of Brisbane
5) What payments are being made to Government?
There are payments of $272 million to Government by opening of the Integrated Resort complex. This reflects payments for the gaming licence, fees, leases and land, but should also be read in context of the overall project scope.
In particular, the investment in public realm and other public areas is included in the total development costs for the Integrated Resort Development.
6) Will an additional casino be built in Brisbane?
No. DBC will be leveraging The Star Entertainment Group’s existing casino licence, negating the need for an additional casino licence. The Treasury casino will also be relocated to the new integrated resort development and the heritage buildings presently occupied repurposed to house a Ritz Carlton Hotel and high end retail, allowing greater public access to these iconic Brisbane landmarks.
7) What tourism opportunities are expected to be generated from the development?
The development positions Brisbane as an international tourism destination that attracts visitors and investment to Brisbane and Greater Queensland.
The tourism demand forecasting and research undertaken by Destination Brisbane Consortium indicates that the actual facilities and attractions DBC is proposing at Queen’s Wharf Brisbane will generate:
> Estimated 1.39 million additional tourist visitors per annum.
The Star Entertainment Group and its strategic partners in the DBC also provide considerable and complementary hospitality and tourism development opportunities.
8) What are some of the beneficial economic impacts to be driven by the development?
Destination Brisbane Consortium’s development of Queen’s Wharf Brisbane will deliver transformational impacts on Queensland’s jobs, training and tourism.
Some key impacts include:
> Creation of more than 8,000 jobs in Queensland once operational
> Additional training and apprenticeships opportunities through the establishment of a world class hospitality school on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane from 2016.
9) What hotel options will be available to visitors?
There will be five hotel brands, including the world renowned Ritz-Carlton and Rosewood brands plus the introduction of Brisbane’s first six star hotel.
10) What cultural and lifestyle attractions are expected in the precinct?
The precinct provides a large open and highly flexible public events and gathering space. Dispersed throughout the precinct are a variety of terraced seating areas providing small amphitheatre spaces, nature walks and a fully integrated heritage precinct. Features include contemporary active recreation facilities, galleries, cinemas, retail zones and fifty new restaurants.
For more information on key features please visit the Vision section of our website.